Polyaigos

1. Location and geomorphology

Island located southeastern of Kimolos, from which it is separated by the Pyrgi Channel. The name Polyaigos, meaning "having many goats", attests it was used as pastoral land already since Antiquity. In Medieval Times, it was known as Polivos, Polinos or Ipolivos.

It is located on the South Aegean volcanic arc and its bedrock is mostly volcanic. In the middle of the island, there are two hills: Strongylo (370 m), and Psilo Vouno (330 m). Its coasts are rocky, steep and harbourless, save the western and northern ones, where creeks make access easier. At the northwestern part of the island, two quarries have been found, where people used to extract trachyte, used for making millstones. In the late 19th century, the existence of mineral deposits of silver (barite) was confirmed.

2. Flora and fauna

The island may be arid, but it harbours some rare species of plants, such as the single flower orchid (Serapias carica var. monantha) and many Greek indigenous species. Generally, its flora varies from genista to shrub, such as the dwarf juniper and the oleaster (wild olive tree). In Medieval Times, travellers mentioned the island’s fertility, and precisely its olives, breadstuffs, cotton and vineyards. In the mid 17th century though, during the fourth Venetian-Ottoman war (1645-1669), the Venetians, who used to call the island Brusiata (meaning "burnt"), cut down all the olive trees, including those of Kimolos.

Because of its special fauna, Polyaigos has been included in the Natura 2000 network as a Site of Community Importance (SCI). Mediterranean Monachus monachus seals find shelter in the numerous caverns along the island’s coastline, while Polyaigos’ rocks are also vital for many bird species. The threatened with extinction Milos viper (Macrovipera schweizeri) is also harboured here.

3. General information

Throughout history, the island was mostly uninhabited, while nowadays it is circumstantially inhabited by shepherds. In 1951, it had 14 inhabitants. In Medieval Times, the island changed ownership many times and it is now an endowment of the Panagia Odigitria monastery of Kimolos, with one of its parts remaining a private property.

At its northwestern part, there are the remnants of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary Monastery, founded in 1622. The monastery’s church was a domed basilica.

The stone lighthouse on the Maskoula cape, built in 1898, is quite interesting too. It has a 9 m high tower, a focal height of 138 m and a 27-miles range of light.

The Greek state has marked the island as an Area of Special Beauty, aiming to effectively protect and preserve its environment and architectural heritage.